Sunday, November 11, 2007

Lest We Forget

Today is Remembrance Day. In the 11th month, on the 11th day, in the 11th hour we take time to remember all that our soldiers have done for us as a country. It is an important day that gets less recognition as time passes. Old veterans die, and the significance of the day seems somewhat lost to our youth, unless we teach them and show them that it is still important.

All week, I have been listening to people talk about their upcoming long weekend. Why do people get tomorrow off in lieu? This is not a day that can be substituted for another. It falls on a very specific day for observance. I do not have tomorrow off and it is a scramble for me to find childcare, as school and daycare are closed. Why should people have this extra day? Are they planning another observance ceremony? Likely not. It is just another day that workers feel they should be paid for and receive that extra day to do whatever they want with. If it were any other holiday I would feel differently. Are we showing the proper respect in taking an extra day? In my opinion, NOT AT ALL.

My grandfather, and his brother went overseas to fight for our way of life in World War II. My father spent much of my young life away from home serving in the military. My ex-husband and many of my friends and acquaintances over the years have served in the Canadian Forces. I do respect what they do for me and for my family. I will remember.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie,
This is Aunt Louise, I just found your blob. Spent the last hour & a half getting caught up. Your boys are so handsome. Tried to call you but the number I have must be an old one. Love to hear from you.