Sunday, May 20, 2007

Poverty

As I mentioned in "Wrestling Ambitions", Seth is quite materialistic. Whenever we go into a store of any kind he asks for something. I have gotten in the habit of saying something like..."I don't have money for that" or "We talked about this before we came into the store." So, we're standing in the checkout line at Wal-Mart one day and he asked for something. I responded with one of the standard comments, and he says "Mom, it's too bad we're poor!" I was soooo embarrassed. You can probably imagine the conversation in the car afterwards! It went something like "I can't believe you said that! We aren't poor, I just have to pay for all of every one's needs before treats!" I was so frustrated in the moment at my own inability to make him understand the realities. He will learn and understand eventually, but for now he just figures if I can't buy him toys or candy or whatever all the time then there is no other conclusion but poverty.

No comments: